La Douleur Exquise

10 February 2017


Ever since I spotted Oscar De La Renta's striped sequin and ostrich feather top on my favourite blogger Blair of Atlantic Pacific, I knew I had to have it. But at about £2,000 for the beautiful piece, how would that be possible?




I took a mini hiatus from any DIY projects but returned in full force with this cheeky number. I had an old navy and white striped cropped tee from H&M that I was planning on throwing out (crop tops are not cute on a 27 year old woman) but loved the shape and quality so much that I couldn't bring myself to do it. Queue the lightbulb moment! After buying 2 meters worth of crisp white ostrich feather trimmings, I decided to sew this to the hem of the top to elongate it (making it more wearable at my age) and also channel my inner Oscar De La Renta. Not only was this one of my easiest upcycling projects but one of my favourites also.

Step 1

Since ostrich feather trims are quite sparce in feathers, it is likely you'll have to double up the trimming in order to gain the same look as the Oscar De La Renta top. Work out what length of feathers you will need.

Step 2

Double up! Fold the trim on itself to double the volume of feathers, align and pin in place.



Step 3

Pin to the inside of the top. The reason we do this is so that the hem of the top hides the ribbon trim of the feathers. It looks neater and more professional.



Step 4

I would highly recommend machine sewing, the industrial needle will penetrate the double trim and hem of the top with ease. Align and sew leaving a slight gap between the start and finish. Do not leave a big enough gap so that it's visible (the feathers should mask the gap) but big enough for a little stretch. Because this trim does not stretch, you may find this difficult to put on without a stretch gap. Failing that, you can insert a zip. 


Once complete, style with dainty and delicate jewellery or a vintage brooch. The top I had was upcycled from an old H&M top and the feathers were bought for £7.48 which seemed like a much more reasonable option compared to spending £2,000. Check out Oxfam's shop for some easy stripes to upcycle here.

While I do love a good brand or label, I think it's important not to add to the environmental impact the fashion industry already has. As an aspiring minimalist and zero waster, I am aware of just how much waste is involved in the industry and knowing that I'm minimising my impact makes me feel that little bit better. 




1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous top! I love horizontal stripes as they look so chic and never date and those feathers are beautiful! I would have to be careful when eating and wear a napkin over my knee!

    ReplyDelete

ABSOLUTE © 2016 | Template by Blogs & Lattes